From:
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2012 10:55:14 -0500
Subject: Re: Maps used by U.S. in Mexican American War
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 10:28:35 -0500 (CDT)
From: Linda R Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
To: Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Hello,

I seem to remember reading something about Robert E. Lee (yes the one
who was later General of the Confederate Army) being a cartographer or
scouting out positions and routes during the Mexican American War. I
suspect that they might have had general ideas of the terrain, but did
not have specific maps to plan their campaigns. They found things as
they went along and added them to the maps, similar to the way the
Western U.S. was mapped. Linda Zellmer