From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:06:53 -0500
Subject: Re:      [Fwd: National Library Week Ideas Sought]
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 12:11:00 -0700
From: "Ronald Whistance-Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Joan Winearls, now retired from the Univ. of Toronto, did some
marvellous
displays which drew attention to the value of the map collection to
various
disciplines.  Being 2600 miles away I didn't see all of them but two I
remember were maps associated with literature and maps and architecture.

In the first, although there have been two literary maps of Canada
published, she displayed maps of districts featured in novels with
Canadian
settings.  The maps were contemporary with the period setting of the
novels.
In a similar vein, an English Prof. at the University of Alberta
borrowed
large scale maps of London at the time Charles Dickens was writing.  He
had
his students read the novels with copies of the maps since he said you
could
get a better understanding of the action with these in front of you, so
detailed was Dickens geographic descriptions.

In the case of architecture, the maps served as the basis for windtunnel
models, models of the structures being placed on topographically and
geographically correct bases.

Examples of the use of maps in history abound and recently I've seen
several
newly published history books criticised for their lack of adequate
maps.
That type of display might also emphasize the importance of the map
collection to the overall purpose of a university.

Other examples can be found in engineering, education, physics, biology,
agriculture and soil science, meteorology, mathematics, geology,
chemistry,
and more obviously in geography and environmental sciences.

Ron Whistance-Smith