Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:10:57 -0600
Subject:        RE: MAPS-L: Persian vs. Arabian Gulf: early maps?
Date:   Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:42:20 -0000
From:   Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Ken:

There is likely to be not too far away from Utah a copy of this 'coffee
table book'

Atlas of geographical maps and historical documents on the Persian Gulf
= Le Golfe Persique a travers les cartes de l'antiquite a nos jours /
Abbas Sahab. - 2nd ed. - Tehran : Sahab Geographic & Drafting Institute,
1974. - xviii,316p. : ill., maps, portr. ; 35 cm. - In Persian (Ar
script) & E ; prelims in E & F. - Reproductions of maps (MS and printed)
from Babylonian, Classical, Renaissance times to ca 1969 in Ar script
and 'European' lamnguages

Then there's the 'History of cartography, volume 2 book 1 : cartography
in the traditional Islamic and South Asian societies' (Harley &
Woodward, eds) published by Univ. of Chicago Pr., 1992, ISBN
0-226-31635-1 with both high-quality col. and b&w ill.

And maybe something retrievable via Tony Campbell's gateway site for
mapping history [http://www.maphistory.info] on his relevant web-page
(e.g. 'What's on the web'!).

These are only a couple of late Friday afternoon suggestions to
stimulate others to come up with further ideas or specific collections.
I know not whether your US BGN has amassed a reference archive of
similar examples from way back in order to offer their advice on what
form may be used to refer to that specific waterway.  Our Permanent
Committee on Geographical Names for British official use (PCGN for
short) [http://www.pcgn.org.uk] has issued an advsiory document.

Francis Herbert