From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:26:23 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 15:04:00 -0700
From: Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Mapping interactively on the web-- <fwd>
Sender: Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>

> Mapping interactively on the web--
>
> I am looking to find a little list of the various mapping
> programs
> on the web, like Mapquest, Mapblast!, etc.
> I haven't really found the right way to find them on the
> web....

I have a web page from a summary of this topic as of Oct 1995 at:
http://www.gisnet.com/gis/notebook/webgis.html. Though some of
the links have twisted off now, there's still a long summary of
was going then. If you're interested in recent history, you can
see where the state of the art for web mapping was 4 years ago
when nobody knew where this was going.

On another topic--obliquely related to this thought--are there
any libraries who document original discussions or messages that
chronicle the history of events as they appeared and developed on
the Internet? Seems to me that one day future historians may
wonder what it was *really* like in the early nineties when the
world first became wired. Seems like this medium is so ephemeral
that when things happen here there are no tracks left behind
except for what people write in books and journals. And those are
just polished-up, one-sided versions, not the original events and
comments in context. But I suppose a lot of history gets
rewritten by time and politics.

- Bill Thoen

--- End Forwarded Message ---