From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl McCoy (DOCS)
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 11:58:42 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 10:19:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Cheryl McCoy (DOCS)" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Defense Mapping Agency Series
Sender: "Cheryl McCoy (DOCS)" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Here at the University of South Florida we have a collection of the
post WWII Defense Mapping Agency maps. USF did not become a federal
depository until 1962, so this collection was acquired by the previous
documents librarian (who is now deceased) from the Bridgeford
Connecticut Public Library in the late 60's or early 70's.

I am trying to piece together the history of this series. I have read the
section in Mary Larsgaard's Map Librarianship and that has helped. I am
getting some pressure from my library director to clear some space in
Government Documents to make room for a storage area. This map collection
appears "old" and therefore a likely candidate for weeding and discarding.

I would like to know more about this collection (particularly opinions
from other map librarians!) on the relative value of this collection.  I
would like to organize this series (as best I can) and mark the collection
as an historical collection (so that patrons won't want to check them out
when they need a current map of Europe!) However, if space does become an
issue, I may need justification for holding on to the collection or be
seeking a new home for it. Any information that anyone has or could lead
me to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

Cheryl McCoy
Government Documents Coordinator  Voice: Reference (813)974-3530
University of South Florida              GovDocs (813)974-3953
Tampa Campus Library              Fax:  (813)974-9875
Reference/Government Documents    E-mail: [log in to unmask]

--- End Forwarded Message ---