From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Flannigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:56:14 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:17:01 -0600
From: Mike Flannigan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: US coast to coast by water
Sender: Mike Flannigan <[log in to unmask]>

I'm reading this Least Heat Moon book right now.

I was very surprised that they took the land route from Lake Erie
over to Chautauqua Lake and then over land again to the
Allegheny River.  It seems like you would just stay on the water
and go around the great lakes to Chicago, and then down the
Illinois River to St. Louis.  You miss some of the eastern
heartland of the US, but you get to stay on the water.

Mike Flannigan

> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:30:52 -0700
> From: Ben Harding <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: US coast to coast by water
> Sender: Ben Harding <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Some time ago there was an inquiry about the possibility of
> traversing the U.S. by water.  I posted that inquiry to
> [log in to unmask], a list supporting discussion of river
> issues.  Among the spirited discussion was the following message
> from Brad Dimock with some information that might be interesting to
> Maps-L people.
>
> Ben Harding
>
> ==========================
> See The Doing of the Thing, by Conley, Welch and myself. One
> chapter gives an account of a coast to coast via the Columbia,
> Snake, Yellowstone, Missouri, Mississippi, Ohio, Allegheny,
> Niagara, Erie Canal, Mohawk and Hudson. Lewis Freeman did a
> similar trip in the 20s or 30s, and William Least Heat Moon did one
> recently memorialized in his book Riverhorse. On each of these
> there are many reservoir crossings and a few substantial portages.
>
> -- Brad Dimock
> Fretwater Press
> 1000 Grand Canyon Avenue Flagstaff, Arizona 86001
> 928 774 8853  fax 928 779 9552  cell 928 853 2007
--- End Forwarded Message ---