From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:25:07 -0400
Subject: National Atlas of India
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:21:24 -0700
From: Matthew Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I struggling to understand how the plates from the National Atlas of India
are arranged.  I've have several dozen loose plates, all have National Atlas
of India in the upper left and a plate number in the upper right.  However,
the plate numbers rarely match the plate titles according to the two lists I
was able to find via the Internet.

One list was printed from the National Atlas and Thematic Mapping
Organisation (NATMO) Web site a few months back.  It is for the 8 volume set
and lists 300 plates.  Unfortunately, the NATMO Web domain (www.natmo.org)
has recently expired and I can't go back and access it for any more
information.  The second list I have is from Vedams Books from India
(www.vedamsbooks.com/no31476.htm) and is for the Abridged Edition (English),
listing 30 plates.

Some of the plates I have in hand match up with the Abridged edition and
some of with the 8 vol. set.  However, most don't seem to match either at
all.  The plate number is different or the plate title is wrong (depending
on how you look at it).  Has anyone tackled this frustrating set of maps?
Are there other editions of the Atlas out there with numbering systems that
will map to the numbers I have?  Any insight would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Matthew Parsons, Map Librarian
Map Collection and Cartographic Information Services Unit
University of Washington Libraries
206-543-9392