From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 13:50:25 -0400
Subject: RE: maps as primary sources]
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:33:09 -0500
From: "Bigwood, David" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Julie,

I'd consider as primary sources as those materials contemporary with the
event being studied. A map of Europe created in 1944 would be a primary
source if WW2 was being studied. A map created today, showing Europe in
1944, would not be primary. The 1944 map would not be a primary source
if
the unification of Italy was being studied.

The existence of older items on the map is a red herring. A newspaper
account of an event will mention things, like roads, that have existed
for
quite some time. So may a map.

Good question. Made me stop and think.

Sincerely,