From:
"A. Cope" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 08:47:03 -0500
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: cutter for neighborhood boundaries?
Date:   Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:52:45 -0400
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Jon!

Not quite clear on something here. You have a single map of Eugene's
neighborhoods and want to provide the correct subject cutter for that
type of map using LC G classification? Or, you are looking to find or
establish a geographic area code for a specific neighborhood in Eugene?

If its the former, the subject code of "F7" seems a bit "more correct"
to me than using "E1", which would be much too broad for this purpose.
That said, I do realize that a neighborhood or map of neighborhoods
doesn't necessarily equate to them being administrative or political
divisions in most cases, but in alot of cities this would be a match of
the concept in at least some of the neighborhoods.

If its the latter situation, you would have to use the "cutter
technique" whereby you would create a geographic area code for the
neighborhood in question using the base classification number and code
for the city of Eugene first, which is G4294.E8, then add a colon, then
the number "2", then a specific alphanumeric code based on the first
letter and then a number representing the second letter of the name of
the neighborhood. As an example, if you have access to LC's
/Classification Web/ you can look up the geographic area codes for the
University of Oregon, located in Eugene, which is G4294.E8:2U5 or for
Lane Community College in Eugene, which is G4294.E8:2L3.

Hope this helps!

Paige