From:
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2013 06:56:59 -0500
Subject: Re: RDA and cartographic materials, follow-up
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 20:50:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Paige G. Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
CC: [log in to unmask]

Thanks Ken for sharing information about RDA sample records (I could
post links to a couple of resources but need to make the time to, and
allow me to also interject that if the LC records you refer to are the
ones I am thinking of they were created during the RDA testing phase and
many are quite out of date in some ways, thus not overly helpful -- but
I could be wrong!) and info about Mary's, Susan Moore's (Susan recently
was invited by Mary and I to join the team) and my forthcoming book on
cataloging cartographic resources using RDA. Allow me to update/correct
the information you gathered about the book.

The "release date" simply isn't true. As things stand right now the book
will possibly be available by ALA Annual Conference time next year (June
2014). People's schedules get in the way, we had a change of book
editors within ALA Editions earlier this year (though that is/was I'm
sure a very, very minor roadblock), some other unexpected twists and
turns and roadblocks, etc., and so things have not progressed as quickly
as originally hoped. Suffice it to say we have a firm deadline for
submission of a final manuscript to ALA Editions, and then there will be
several weeks of the final production process -- if you've ever been
involved with writing a book or editing a journal then those of you who
have know that even after a manuscript is complete it is far from being
"done".

Anyway, I don't want anyone to get hopes up that they'll see a final
product as soon as February 2014. And ask for renewed patience as we
focus pretty much the next 3-4 months on getting through the rest of
this project.

Thanks,

Paige (and on behalf of Mary and Susan)