From:
Debbie Lords <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1993 14:07:14 EST
I need to clarify part of my earlier message:
 > Although the dates and the date code usually reflect the 260 $c field,
> they can reflect a variation shown in the 260 compared with a 500.

This situation may occur for the "r" code, but not for the "m" code.
Justification for using "m" must occur in the 260 field.  However, LC
use for an "r" is not always restricted to a 260-500 combination (this
is seen on books).  LC may use "r" for reprint when others might prefer
"c" for a piece which has one date for copyright and a different date
on the title page for date of publication.  Since I don't imbue LC with
Godhood, I remain uncertain if this was the interpretation of one or
two individuals or LC policy.

Thanks to Ellen Caplan for pointing out the mislead.

Debbie Lords