From:
Tobias Ullman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 1996 15:42:34 EDT

On Sat, 8 Jun 1996, Dennis McClendon wrote:

> As for topology, no.  I'm hoping someone will create a little program that
> can mediate between a spreadsheet or database and the path objects in FH,
> thus allowing us to choose objects and change their color based on a lookup
> table.  Voila!  Good-looking choropleth maps.

Good news Dennis.  That is essentially how the MAPublisher legends work.
You create a legend. For each graphic legend element you record (through a
pulldown menu) the definitions for an associated object (point,line or poly).
When you "render", the defined legend record is used to color/symbolize the
map.  In essence your legend becomes your lookup table.  After defining the
legend once, to change or update how a map object is colored or symbolized,
you just modify the legend graphic and again use the "render" function and
the stored legend record will be used to find and recolor all the objects
that match that legends definition.

I hope this makes sense - It is much easier to show how quick and easy it
is to update your map with MAPublisher, than to explain it ;)

This functionality is possible, because MAPublisher carries along all
the attribute information associated with your GIS source data. Come
version 2.0 out this summer (which will also introduce the PC/Freehand
version of MAPublisher), they tell me that there will be a function
that will let you add (or drop) attribute columns to your database,
which will make grouping and symbolizing of similar map objects even
easier.

Denise Ullman                     [log in to unmask]
Product Development Manager
Avenza Software                 http://www.avenza.com
Developers of MAPublisher - changing the way maps are made.
Telephone: 1-905-639-3330 or 1-800-884-2555