From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 12:15:42 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 20:39:33 -0500
From: Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: copyrighted projections
Sender: Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>

We're getting ready to use a Goode's Homolosine (interrupted)
projection of the world for a forthcoming publication. I've been
under the impression that map projections cannot be copyrighted,
patented, etc., but in the 1990 edition of Goode's World Atlas,
published by Rand McNally, the acknowledgements section thanks the
University of Chicago Press for permission to use the projection, and
the American Geographical Society for permission to use the Miller
Cylindrical Projection.

Goode's projection dates from at least 1922, so is presumably out of
copyright by now in any case, but what about Miller (1942, says
Snyder: MAP PROJECTIONS A WORKING MANUAL) or Robinson (1970's?
1980s?)?

Does anyone have current information about claims of copyright to a projection?

Nat Case
Hedberg Maps, Inc.
--- End Forwarded Message ---