From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:29:40 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:05:36 -0400
From: Roger Payne <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: How do you correct erroneous KY maps? (fwd)

This is in response to a recent inquiry regarding road names on US Geological Survey topographic maps.  The short answer is that the USGS Mapping Center responsible for that State would like to have information regarding "reported" errors for roads and highways.  The US Board on Geographic names does not make decisions for roads and highways unless asked to do so, and this is the ONLY category of named entity not available from GNIS.  The following hopefully will explain.

The Board is the authority for ALL geographic names used throughout the Federal Government (except roads and highways), and is made up of two standing committees empowered by the Board to make decisions and develop policy, the Domestic and the Foreign Names Committees.

All geographic names in the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS), the nation's official geographic names repository are official for Federal usage.  The U.S. Board on Geographic Names, which is responsible by law for standardizing geographic nomenclature throughout  the Federal Government, has indicated that GNIS is the official vehicle for standardization.  Therefore, all agencies and departments of the Federal Government are REQUIRED by law to use the form and spelling as listed in GNIS on maps and in documents.  No agency may unilaterally change a geographic name or use a new name without approval by the Board.  New name means a name for a feature that has never had a published name.  In cases where a name is in published usage on or in a source approved by the Board's staff, and not in conflict with a name on another source or problematic in anyway, that name may be submitted to GNIS directly and processed by the GNIS staff.

In some cases, a large list of names with a common theme for change may be submitted to the Board's staff for an abbreviated procedure known as "staff processed name".  The staff will forward the list to all interested parties with a 30 - day (generally) deadline for comment.  Any interested party may request that any single name may be removed from the list for any reason, and this name would then be processed according to standard Board procedures.

Public Law 80-242 that created the Board in its present form in 1947 gave the Board authority over all geographic names for Federal purposes except the names of Federal buildings, and of course, any names that were part of a specific Congressional bill regarding that name.  Casual or peripheral reference to a name in a bill does not meet this criterion.  However, over the years, the Board has determined that numerous categories of names are best left to the specific organization that administers those features.  The Board classifies these as administrative, and has determined that the principles and policies of the Board do not apply.  Examples are schools, churches, cemeteries, shopping centers, ranger stations, most buildings, civil divisions, roads and highways, etc.  A rendition of what constitutes administrative may be found in the End Notes for Chapter 2 of the publication PRINCIPLES, POLICIES, AND PROCEDURES: DOMESTIC GEOGRAPHIC NAMES, pages 12 - 13.  This publication is available by request or by accessing the GNIS website, clicking on US Board on Geographic Names, and then clicking on Principles, Policies, and Procedures <http://mapping.usgs.gov/www/gnis>.

In summary, every name in GNIS is official for Federal (and anybody's) use.  Thousands upon thousands of the entries have no data in the Federal Status field of GNIS because these names were collected in accordance with established procedures.  The sources are examined in a hierarchy, specifically official Federal, State, local, other, and historical.  It is determined that there is no conflict among sources, and the name does not violate Board policies before collection and subsequent data entry.  Of course, names determined to be administrative according to Board definition are not subject to Board policy, and if conflicting names are found the source of the responsible organization prevails.   Names under the Board's present purview that are found to be conflicting or problematic are sent to the Board for processing by one of the two methods - full or staff processed.  New names are not an issue because only written documents and maps are used in data compilation, and a new name is one that has never existed previously.

Problematic names processed by the Board will have BGN "year" in the Federal Status Field.  Also, it is possible to have US "year" in the field which means that the name was the subject of Congressional action or Executive Order.  All new or never existing names MUST go through the full process.

ALL NAMES IN GNIS ARE OFFICIAL, EITHER BY POLICY (THE VAST MAJORITY INCLUDING DATA COLLECTION AND ADMINISTRATIVE) OR BY DECISION (SMALL PERCENTAGE), AND THESE ARE INDICATED BY BGN YEAR.  A VERY FEW ARE CONGRESSIONAL OR EXECUTIVE ORDER.

Roger L. Payne
Executive Secretary,
  US Board on Geographic Names
703.648.4544
703.648.4549 FAX
523 National Center
Reston, VA 20192

>>> Dale Steele <[log in to unmask]> 08/30/99 12:14PM >>>
RE this discussion on MAPS-L?  Does the BGN decide on roads?  From what I
understand from our experience in Arizona, the BGN doesn't deal with road
names.

Dale

At 06:01 AM 8/30/99 , you wrote:
> [...]

Dale Steele
Arizona Department of Library, Archives and Public Records
1700 W. Washington
Phoenix, AZ  85007
Tel. (602) 542-3701
Toll Free (Arizona only) 1-800-228-4710