From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:27:36 -0600
Subject:        RE: Aerial maps of US from 1940s
Date:   Tue, 17 Feb 2009 15:22:45 -0500
From:   Hallie Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

As Prof. Hanley states the UGA Map Library has an excellent and extensive
collection of air photos of the state of Georgia dating back to the late
1930s.  The majority of our air photos were flown by the Agricultural
Stabilization and Conservation Service (ASCS), now the Aerial Photography
Field Office (APFO), a division of the USDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA).
Air photos for most states (including Kentucky) from 1955 to present can be
ordered directly from the APFO; further information about the APFO can be
found here:

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/apfoapp?area=home&subject=landing&topic=landing

Air photos flown prior to 1955 are available from the National Archives:

http://www.archives.gov/research/formats/cartographic.html

USGS Fact Sheet 127-96 (May 2007) Looking for an Old Aerial Photograph gives
a good overview of resources:

http://egsc.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/factsheets/fs12796.pdf

Finally, the Geological Sciences Library and Map Collection at the
University of Kentucky has per their Web site an extensive collection of
maps, atlases, gazetteers and Kentucky air photos available in their map
collection & is probably the best place to start:

http://www.uky.edu/Libraries/lib.php?lib_id=9

Hope this helps!

Hallie Pritchett
Map and Federal Regional Depository Librarian
University of Georgia Libraries
Athens, GA 30602
706-542-0690  FAX:  706-583-0631
http://www.libs.uga.edu/maproom/