From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:51:06 -0500
Subject:        Future of Geography and Map Section
Date:   Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:31:20 -0400
From:   MCQUILLAN, DAVID <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>

*Please don’t let the light go out on our only international geography
and map forum.  Current leadership has been working hard to keep things
going for the next term.  It began with the IFLA request that all
sections have at least 50 members.  We had 46.  We were successful in
getting the limit set at 40 and began efforts to add more members to the
G&M Section and to the Standing Committee.  We did add new members, but
some of the current members did not renew, so we now have 39 members!
Surely there is one individual, institution, or association that could
step forward to keep the G&M Section on the international stage.
Members can join at any time, so all you need to do is contact IFLA HQ
at www.ifla.org <http://www.ifla.org> and determine your status and the
fee set for your particular situation.  The fee varies according to
country and size of associations.  *

*As you can see from the program below, the G&M Section brings together
speakers from a variety of regional backgrounds and attempts to have
timely topics.  There are many strong national and regional geography
and map organization, but there is only one international forum where
everyone can exchange ideas.  *

*These are hard economic times, as shown by IFLA changing the 2010 World
Library and Information Congress from Brisbane, Australia to Gothenburg,
Sweden.  We need to pull together as a community of likeminded
information professionals to preserve our special place in the world.
After all we are the keepers of the World’s knowledge of itself.*

*IFLA meets in Milan, Italy next week until August 28.  Anita Oser,
chair, and myself, treasurer and standing committee member, must rotate
off for 2 years, so it is vital that someone step forward.  We have
enough standing committee members (who are drawn from the membership of
the G&M Section) until the next election in 2011, but need more members
to join the G&M Section.*

*Feel free to contact me before August 20 for more information.*

* *

*Geography and Map Libraries, Science and Technology Libraries* and
*Division of Special Libraries*

/Cultural heritage preserved: the role of digital maps/

    * Geological Survey of Brazil: 40 years producing and providing data
      and geological information
      <http://www.ifla.org/files/hq/papers/ifla75/121-lopes-en.pdf>
      [Français]
      <http://www.ifla.org/files/hq/papers/ifla75/121-lopes-fr.pdf>
      CLAUDIA LOPES (CPRM-Geological Survey of Brazil, São Paulo, Brazil)
    * Facilitating access to the fascinating past: technical issues in
      creating the CD /Riga in Cartographic Images 1621-1710/
      <http://www.ifla.org/files/hq/papers/ifla75/121-kalnina-en.pdf>
      RUDĪTE KALNIŅA. (National Library of Latvia, Department of
      Restoration and Digitization, Latvia) and INESE A. SMITH
      (Loughborough University, UK)
    * The Use of a Digital Map as a Search Interface in Preserving the
      Traditional Blackfoot Worldview
      <http://www.ifla.org/files/hq/papers/ifla75/121-swanepoel-en.pdf>
      MARINUS SWANEPOEL (University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, Alberta,
      Canada)
    * Digitizing the past, the beginning of a new future: the process of
      digitizing 12,000 historical maps and making them accessible via
      the internet
      <http://www.ifla.org/files/hq/papers/ifla75/121-levi-en.pdf>
      PETER LEVI (Royal Tropical Institute, Amsterdam, Information &
      Library Services, Netherlands)
    * File formats for very large maps and digital preservation
      <http://www.ifla.org/files/hq/papers/ifla75/121-buonora-en.pdf>
      PAOLO BUONORA and FRANCO LIBERATI (Italian State Archives, Rome,
      Italy)
    * The Digitization of an Ancient Map using GIS Technology: the /Yu
      ji tu/ Map
      <http://www.ifla.org/files/hq/papers/ifla75/121-hongye-en.pdf> [中
      文] <http://www.ifla.org/files/hq/papers/ifla75/121-hongye-zh.pdf>
      BAI HONGYE (National Library of China, Beijing, Department of Rare
      Books and Special Collections, China)
      /(Author is not attending the congress, paper added to online
      programme for information)/
    * Rare Map Materials Made Digital: Scanning and Metadata to
      Archiving and Access
      <http://www.ifla.org/files/hq/papers/ifla75/121-kowal-en.pdf>
      KIMBERLY C. KOWAL (The British Library, Map Library, Lead Curator
      and Curator of Digital Mapping, UK) and JOHN RHATIGAN (The British
      Library, British Collections, Project Manager, Vulnerable
      Collection Items Project, UK)
    * CartoMundi:/ / A New Way of Indexing Mapping Documentation.
      <http://www.ifla.org/files/hq/papers/ifla75/121-arnaud-en.pdf>
      JEAN-LUC ARNAUD (CNRS - Méditerranéenne des Sciences de l'Homme,
      Aix-en-Provence, France)

David C. McQuillan

Treasurer and Standing Committee Member

IFLA Geography and Map Libraries Section

David C. McQuillan

Map Cataloger

Thomas Cooper Library

University of South Carolina