From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:45:53 -0500
In a message dated 1/7/02 2:39:34 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

(actually, this is a quote from a forwarded message, not from blh)

> I have a patron doing promotional work for a watercraft company that
> wants to know if it is
> possible to navigate the continental US coast to coast by water, in any
> way possible, on a

I guess it's time for me to add my politically incorrect 2 cents worth to
this discussion...

Seems to me they are 1) requesting information in order to promote "personal
watercraft" which are perhaps better known as "F@#%ING jet skis"; 2) they've
demonstrated some considerable ignorance of North American geography (Rocky
Mts., Appalachians) and fluvial dynamics (water runs downhill) by posing the
question; and 3) they've also demonstrated some considerable literary
ignorance of recent fluvial classics by Dimmock and Heatmoon.

If we need more ignorant yahoos and/or their "F@#%ING jet skis" on our
rivers, if might be worth helping these dudes.

But in the interest of fair play, I think we should demand a copy of their
proposed schedule and itinerary (should this trip ever come to pass) so we
could publish it for the edification of anyone inclined to wait in ambush ...
that way, perhaps all points of view could be represented in the resulting
publicity.

Drifter

Best comment I've heard yet on jet skiis and snowmobiles: "It took the
Japanese a long time to figure out how to get even for Hiroshima and
Nagasaki, but now they've had their revenge!" - unidentified life-long river
front resident who swore there will be dead meat feeding fishes when and if
she comes down with a terminal disease.