Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1993 13:19:29 EDT
Johnnie--
Please post this on Maps-L.
Thanks, April

Following is the tentative schedule of MAGERT meetings for Midwinter in Los
Angeles.  This schedule represents the requests I have made of Conference
Planning Office in Chicago; the preliminary schedule should be sent to me from
Chicago within the next week, and I'll note any changes here.  I wanted to get
this out now though because I know many MAGERT members are anxious to make
plans; the details of the MAGERT hotel have been published in baseline, which
is either on your desk or in your mailbox by now.

Saturday, Feb 5

8:30-11:00 am (may be moved to earlier slot)
Executive Board I/New Members Breakfast/Welcome Breakfast
[I'm planning a general get-together in the MAGERT hotel which will serve to
greet old and new members and disseminate any important information about the
conference]

2:00-4:00pm
Publications I

4:30-5:30 pm
Cataloging and Classification

Sunday, Feb 6

9:30-11:00am
Research Libraries Collection Management Group

11:30-12:30pm
GeoTech

2:00-4:00pm
Publications II

4:30-5:30pm
MAGERT/CCS/ALECTS Map Cataloging Discussion Group

Monday, Feb 7

8:00-11:00am
SIGIS Task Force

11:30-12:30pm
Miscellaneous Committees Joint Meeting [I've asked for a room with several
tables to accommodate the committees which either don't usually meet at
Midwinter or which have small attendance--this way, they'll have a place to
meet if they need to:Constitution, Education, Honors, Membership, Nominating,
Miami Conference]

2:00-4:00pm
Publications III

Tuesday, Feb 8
9:30-12:30pm
Executive Board II

End of schedule

Regarding the MAGERT suite: As it stands, we will not have a MAGERT suite.  I
spoke with the hotel manager, and the facilities for a suite do not sound
adequate to our needs.  However, the hotel has both a coffee shop/restaurant
and a bar (according to the brochure), which should serve as convenient
meeting places.  The lack of a MAGERT suite is one of the reasons I am
planning the breakfast reception on Saturday morning, and I'll be looking into
other social possibilities as we approach February.

MIAMI PLANNING UPDATE

I am just finishing preparing meeting and program requests for Miami.  I won't
list details yet, but can give you some general ideas:
Several members suggested that MAGERT keep the schedule as compact as
possible, and to this end I've scheduled our first meeting for Friday night,
June 24 and our last meeting on the afternoon of Monday, June 27.  There is
one firm program, one semi-firm, and one which may be jettisoned.  I've
requested slots for the following meetings (please let me know if I've missed
anything): Executive Board (3); Publications (3); Cat/Class; GeoTech; RLCMG;
Education; Membership; SIGIS Task Force; MAGERT/CCS/ALECTS Discussion Group;
CUAC; Misc Comm Joint (Constitution, Honors, Nominating, Chicago Conf
Planning); General Membership.
The Executive Board has met electronically to discuss the question of the
MAGERT hotel.  Our main concerns have been safety and convenience.  Although
there were two dissenting opinions, the majority of the Exec Board voted NOT
to have a MAGERT hotel in Miami.  We realize that there will be members who
are upset about this, but we think that safety is the more important issue.
In addition, although ALA says officially that the conference is in Miami
Beach, there are not enough facilities in Miami Beach for meetings or
sleeping, thus there will be official activities in Miami as well (a $20 cab
ride over the causeway).  ALA is promising a more elaborate shuttle service
for Miami/Miami Beach, and if MAGERT members are in conference hotels, we can
take advantage of this more easily.  I intend to ask Conference Services if
there is any way all MAGERT members can be assigned to the same hotel; while I
think this is just one step above trying to turn lead into gold, it can't hurt
to ask.  A secondary reason for this decision is the lack of a local
arrangements person in the Miami area; if there is a MAGERT member in the
Miami area willing to investigate and visit hotels, please contact me.
I would also appreciate knowing how much interest there is in a field trip for
Miami.

Further news updates as they occur...

April Carlucci, Chair, MAGERT
The New York Public Library Map Division
Internet: [log in to unmask]
Voice: 212 930-0588
Fax: 212 921-2546