From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:10:51 -0600
Subject:        Fw: CFP: Mapping and Locative Practices
Date:   Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:12:49 -0500
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

fyi, conference info--see below! - Alice -

From: Hannah Feldman <[log in to unmask]>

CALL FOR PAPERS

"Mapping and Locative Practices"
April 29, 2006
Department of Art History, Northwestern University

On behalf of the department of Art History at Northwestern
University, we are pleased to invite submissions for our 17th annual
Graduate Student Symposium.  This year's symposium will explore
themes of mapping and locative practices.  Since what the school of
critical geography coined as the "spatial turn," mapping and its
concomitant metaphors have proliferated in academic scholarship.  In
this vein, the conference hopes to take an expansive view of mapping
as a physical artifact produced under historical conditions, and also
as a mode of analyzing representations.  We welcome papers that
explore these spatial themes in the visual or built environment from
any historical period in any medium.

Examples of relevant topics include site-specificity, ephemerality,
and performances, as well as the ways they may or may not engender
thinking about the particularies of urban and/or rural space,
navigation, and knowledge.  Also of interest are papers exploring
perspective and its implications, the imagination, and the wide array
of optical techniques developed to secure and fix images throughout
history, as seen, for instance, with the camera obscura and the
Global Positioning System.  In addition, we also welcome papers
taking the map as a medium or technique onto itself.  Here, questions
of methodology, materiality, cartography, colonialism, urbanism, and
the grid as both a theoretical and practical concept are all equally
relevant.

The keynote speaker for this year's conference is Stephen Melville,
Professor of Art History at Ohio State University, currently Visiting
Professor at Johns Hopkins University.  Our other featured speaker is
Joel Slayton, Professor of Digital Media at San Jose University,
Director of CADRE Laboratory for New Media and chairperson of C5
Corporation.

Interested applicants should send 250-word abstracts for 20-minute
presentations and a Curriculum Vitae to conference co-chairs Nancy
Lim and Zirwat Chowdhury at:

or
Attn: Art History Graduate Student Symposium Committee
1880 Campus Drive
Kresge Centennial Hall, Room 3-400
Northwestern University
Evanston IL 60208

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, The Lionel Pincus & Princess Firyal Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

[log in to unmask];  212-930-0589;   fax 212-930-0027

Open 1-7:30 Tu; 1-6 Wed-Sat.          Closed Sun, Mon.

See our exhibition, Treasured Maps, in Room 316,
the Edna Barnes Salomon Room,
from 10-7:30 Tu; 11-7:30 Wed; 10-6 Thur-Sat; 1-5 Sun.

http://nypl.org/research/chss/map/map.html