From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aimee Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:17:00 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 19:38:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Aimee Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Info needed on merging documents with other areas please

Do you know a library that merged Documents with Reference?

Do you know a reference librarian or an administrator
at a library that has merged a previously separate government
documents department with reference services?

Do you know a reference librarian or an administrator at a library
that has created a separate government documents department whose
functions previously had been part of reference services?

The Government Documents Round Table (GODORT) Program Committee is
seeking panelists for its 1999 program at ALA Conference. We want to
have as a panelist an administrator, a technical services librarian, a
reference librarian, and a documents librarian for whom merging
government documents departments with other departments in the library
has been a positive experience. We also want to have as a panelist
another librarian in each category for whom merging the departments
has been a negative experience.

Details about the program are below:

Name of group: Government Documents Round Table

Program Day: Monday
Program Date: June 28, 1999
Program Time: 9:30 a.m. - 12 noon
Program title: "To Merge or Not to Merge--What Are the Questions?:
Integrating Documents Units into Reference or Technical Services."

Program description: A moderated panel discussion of the pros and cons
of integrating government documents functions into reference and
technical services departments and of what factors and strategies can
help if the transition is necessary. Includes speakers from
administration, government documents, reference, and technical
services. Topics include training, acquisitions and serial cataloging,
staffing levels, automation issues, levels of reference service,
coordination of documents collection development with the rest of the
collection, and user perspectives.

Thanks for any information you can provide to me. Please send your

Larry Romans,
Political Science Bibliographer and
Head, Government Information Services,
Central Library, Vanderbilt University,
419 - 21st Ave. South
Nashville TN 37240-0007
phone (615) 322-2838; FAX (615) 343-7451
E-mail (office): [log in to unmask]
E-mail (home): [log in to unmask]
--- End Forwarded Message ---