Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 16:18:55 -0500
Subject:        Digital Map Vendors
Date:   Fri, 07 Sep 2007 16:09:49 -0500
From:   Maps-L <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps-L <[log in to unmask]>

Hi John,

Apologies for not responding to your email. I thought for sure someone
had replied - and had done so off-list.  In any event, here's an on-list
reply ... see below.

Only a couple of these are digital sources - but still, it's a nice
list. Don't forget that the Library of Congress has many maps online and
available for download (www.loc.gov ). I would also imagine that
individual libraries that have online collections sell or make available
their images depending on copyright. That's a case by case bases of
course (for example, you can purchase map image files from my library
http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/AGSL/digcoll.html ).

Good luck!

Angie
AGSL

**** List of historic maps vendors (with some digital)****

U.S. Historical Archive (Digital)
Source of inexpensive, high quality reproduction maps and images of
significant historical events in U.S. history.
They currently offer a selection of approximately 900 quality detailed
panoramic maps of various United States cities from the mid 1800's to
the early 1900's. They also offer 100's of historical Railroad Maps and
Civil War maps and several Railroad Map CD Collections from the early
1800's to the early 1900's as well as a fascinating collection of over
5000 photochrom (photochrome) prints from the late 1800's showing a
variety of fascinating scenes of people, architecture and sites in
Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East. Print maps and images on CD -
all taken from Library of Congress so distribution of images allowed
(wholesale copying of their discs not allowed)
http://www.ushistoricalarchive.com/

Historical Atlas Resources, R.A. Green    (Digital)
Scanned historical atlases on CD
http://www.historic-atlas-series.com/index.html

Historic Urban Plans
Reproductions of antique maps, plans and panoramic views. Over 500
images, all taken from original engravings, lithographs and manuscript
drawings dating from the 13th to the early 20th century.
http://www.historicurbanplans.com/

Wychwood Editions
MapLink.com carries some of these - search by publisher WYCHWOOD here:
http://catalog.maplink.com/maplink/maplink/maps_atlases.html
Maplink also has other repro maps.

Omni Map Resources
Carries some historical repro maps
http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/int/historical.htm

Association of Canadian Map Libraries
Historical map reproductions
http://www.ssc.uwo.ca/assoc/acml/facsarea.html

McElfresh Map Company
McElfresh Maps are designed to be the definitive topographical portrayal
of a given historical event.
http://www.mcelfreshmap.com/

National Geographic Society has some reproductions
http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=173&KickerID=695&KICKER

USGS has some reproductions and older publication dated maps
http://store.usgs.gov/ (select ENTER STORE to search for maps)

Rockford Map Publishers
Current and retro (reprint) plat books, data and other maps
www.rockfordmap.com

Time Traveller Maps
Not actually reproductions or facsimiles but pretty neat anyway.
http://www.mapz.com/