From:
Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1993 14:34:30 EDT
Betsy,
  I would like to echo Phil's comments about the 034/255 field.  The
best method of locating maps using an online catalog would be to have
someone create a graphical interface that would allow us to zoom in
on an area and then outline the area of interest so that a list of
maps will be given by the online system (I dream about the far future
folks!).  Removing this information could prove difficult in the
future.  Besides, if we have to depend on word descriptions to
identify an area, we may be in REAL trouble.  How do you subject
heading a map of the Colorado Plateau (which covers more than one
state, and many counties in those states)?  Colorado Plateau?
Possibly.  But that same map would cover several counties in more
than one state.  If there is no map for a county (in a county word
search), the best thing available may be that Colorado Plateau map.
This map WILL NOT show up in a search on the county, but may show up
when lat/long searching is available.
  Regarding the remote sensing changes, any chance for being MORE
descriptive?  Such as Landsat Image, AVHRR, Radar Image, etc. and
source of the image (Landsat 1-whatever)?  This would be very helpful
to those of us who have to deal with all of these types of imagery.
Our cataloging department may also supply comments.
Linda Zellmer