From:
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:26:00 -0400
Subject: Re: Broken map drawers]]
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:38:01 -0500
From: Hallie Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
We've discovered that the primary issue with sticking map case drawers is
the wheels on the drawers getting out of alignment.  There are 2 types of
drawer wheels in our library:  those that are riveted to the drawer & those
that are bolted on.  The  riveted ones stick because the axel gets bent;
we've had good luck straightening them out with a big pair of pliers and a
bit of muscle.  The bolts on the bolted-on wheels tend to loosen over time,
causing the wheel slip and stripping the original bolt.  Since the wheel
itself is fine, we just ordered a box of flathead stove bolts with nuts &
replaced the bad bolts.  It works & it's cheap, not to mention far less
hassle than trying to get Facilities Management down here.

Another problem that sometimes causes our drawers to stick is that they get
pushed in too far & come off the track.  It turns out that one type of map
case we have has a small rubber pad stuck to the back of the drawer; if
this falls off the drawer gets pushed in too far and sticks.  Our inelegant
but effective solution was to use book tape to tape a folded wad of paper
to the back of the drawer as a replacement pad.  I suppose a piece of
eraser & some rubber cement would work, too--maybe next time.

We've never used WD-40 or any other lubricant on our drawers, though, for
fear of getting it all over the maps.  Fixing the wheels seems to solve the
sticking problem.

Hallie Pritchett, Library Assistant
John R. Borchert Map Library
University of Minnesota