From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:59:48 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:02:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: call number for East Timor? <fwd>
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
To: Naomi Heiser <[log in to unmask]>

Naomi's question is an interesting one, and I would like to see other
ideas.  For myself, assigning a classification number to a map is a
subjective choice, even in less ambiguous circumstances than this.

So that we all are speaking from the same page(s):  the number assigned as
Naomi described is G8073.T5.

8073 is for provinces of Indonesia.  This is an odd choice for such a map,
which is labelled 'East Timor' but shows the entire island, along with
others nearby.  The western portion of the island with some other islands
is a province of Indonesia called Nusa Tenggara; it includes much of the
Sunda archipelago, including the Indonesian portion of Timor, but as we
learned on the nightly news last year, East Timor is not part of
Indonesia, and Indonesia finally recognized this. So in my view, 8073 is
an erroneous choice, and .T5 is the incorrect designation for Indonesian
Timor (Timor not being a province name but a name for an island in the
province).  The schedule gives the example of .N8 for Nusa Tenggara.

Naomi's suggestion of 8195 is particularly apt.  It is for the island as a
whole.  (Ironically it says as a note: "Western Timor, see G8073.N8"). I
would be inclined to use this as the map covers the entire island, noting
the boundaries between the West portion belonging to Indonesia, and the
East portion being an independent sovereignty.

Another choice could be 8115, for Lesser Sunda Islands, of which Timor is
a part, and some others of which are included on the map.

Speaking for myself, I sometimes will choose a different class number than
LC has chosen, and probably will in this case.  I am inclined to go with
the number assigned for Timor, G8195.

Ken Grabach         <[log in to unmask]>
Documents and Maps Librarian
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:

> [...]

--- End Forwarded Message ---