From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2011 10:13:00 -0500
Subject: RE:      Re: Wide format printers
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 15:12:52 +0100
From: Fleet, Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Becky,

Another factor that might be relevant is the longevity of your prints.
We acquired an HP Designjet 500PS about 8 years ago, which gave
excellent quality prints up to 42" wide, and was easy to maintain.
However, their water-based inks faded rapidly, especially if the prints
were put on the wall even in a low-light area, and faded to nothing in a
matter of months if placed outside.

Four years ago we acquired an Epson Stylus Pro 9800, with solvent-based
inks, that have excellent color-fastness - we have not detected fading,
even when prints are displayed in an exterior environment. The Epson
also produced better quality for large blocks of colour. The word on the
street is that the Epson printers are harder to maintain, and work best
if in regular use, and the inks are more expensive, but we have been
happy with ours.

I know HP have upgraded their ink longevity with pigment-based inks in
recent years, but there still are wide variations in printout longevity
between ink types and printers that may be relevant to you.

Chris

Chris Fleet
Senior Map Curator
National Library of Scotland