From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 16:04:13 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 21:50:31 -0700
From: "Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Nominations for 100 Best
Sender: "Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

So is this group going to come up with a concensus or do we just blindly
send things to Sean?

BTW - I had a great time using the ESS system at LC this evening.  Of
course, it was 9:45pm PDT.  Whoever did the work on that puppy gets a
gold star.  It's so much more whippy than the UCLA Orion system, I may
give up Orion!
;-)

Anyway, I'd strongly vote for four things :

1.  Erwin Raisz.  Map of the landforms of the United States. He was the
first "real" cartographer I ever met.  I met him one afternoon shortly
after I started working at LC as a 20-hour/week student gofer for Mr.
Buffum in the fall of 1962 while I was taking Geography 103 and 104 at
GW.
2.  Walter Ristow and Clara Egli LeGear. (1960)  A guide to historical
cartography.  This is what got me into looking at unusual historical
maps like powderhorns, etc. and, from my perspective, more importantly,
into trying to make really nice maps.
3.  West Point Atlas of American Wars.  This is what got me into looking
at battlefield maps and led to my senior paper on the European Theater
of Operations after D-Day.
4.  There's also an engraving (by Ellicott?) that I used to take people
to the Coast and Geodetic Survey Sales Room to buy.  As I recall, it was
created from the original plates showing the plan of DC.  But, I have NO
clue what the citation may be. Anybody have any ideas?

vh

--
\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
 0      Voicemail:  310.471.1766