Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 1994 13:32:55 EDT

We are also trying to get on-line circulation in our Map Library and just
like you, it is the topographic sheets that are circulated the most. We have
approximately 15,000 Canadian topographic sheets out of which 4,000 now have
individual records and are barcoded. This was accomplished in just over a
year with 1.5 person/year and some extra help in the past 2 summers.
Initially we created a series record and a template to speed up the creation
of individual records. Our library system is Innopac Interface Inc. Presently
our policy is that when topographic sheets are consulted, returned from
circulation or newly received, we create a new record and barcode them prior
to filing. We are also barcoding any maps recently catalogued. We hope to
barcode other map series in the future. So far we have not encountered any
nightmares. I hope this message encourages you. Believe me, it is not as
overwhelming as it seems right now. My advice is one step at a time. Good
luck. If you need additional information, please contact me directly.

* Irene Kumar, Map Library                *
* Canadian Geoscience Information Centre  *
* Internet: [log in to unmask]        *
* Phone   : (613) 947-3326                *
* Fax     : (613) 954-1109                *