Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 14:32:30 -0600
Subject: RE:      Re: Townships as "non-local" entities
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:20:26 -0500
From: Zellmer, Linda R <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hello All,

Actually, this may not be the case. Some states dissolve the township
association when an area is incorporated. While a city or village may
contain area that falls within a township, I am not sure whether the
association is made by the Census Bureau (they may report the stats for
the village or city, rather than the township).

Also, when I was in Arizona, we occasionally had snowbirds come in
asking for the name of their townships. While the Western states do have
the obligatory section, township and range layout, the townships often
are not named. Linda Zellmer