Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:44:15 -0500
Subject:        Re: Older Index Map for Idaho plus other state duplicates
Date:   Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:41:49 -0400
From:   David J. Bertuca <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I have been trying very hard to maintain our existing indexes and have
continuously brought the idea of reprinting to anyone at USGS who might be
interested. In the mean time, I did what I could to keep at least our New
York index safe. We HAD 3 copies at one time (actually 5, but 2 disappeared
ages ago). I can say that I have 2 left now. they get used, then sometimes
people take them along to use outside of the collection (meaning they
"borrow" it) and sometimes I get them back. Someone even "borrowed" a copy
that we laminated to a table in the map room!

What I did to give access, and what has even made people happier (because
they can search from their offices/home), is to scan the NY index and put a
web page together:
<http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/asl/maps/map_indexes.html>

On this page, are links to the NY quad index as well as links to other
sources of quad indexes (such as the OMNI one mentioned earlier) that can
at least allow a person to located the quad maps that they need. It is not
the ultimate but it was a quick solution to the problem of missing indexes.

the NY index is:
<http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/asl/maps/topo/nys-topo-index.html>

and you can select a region and see a larger section map that is readable
enough (but not too big to take 10 minutes to load).

If anyone else is doing this, I would be happy to add their link to the
page so that there would be a one-stop place to find online versions of
these indexes.

David J. Bertuca, Map Librarian
225 Capen Hall
University at Buffalo