From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:32:20 -0500
Subject:        Re: Subject classification for aerial photographs
Date:   Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:12:56 -0400
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

Harry,

Use .A43 for actual remote-sensing images that have not been altered,
whether they are air photos or satellite images. And, the definition of
a remote-sensing /i_mage_/ is that it is the original image without any
kind of information added to it. (Its okay if there is textual
information in the surrounding margins though.)

Once someone adds things like name of cities or highway designations, or
puts in spot heights, the image becomes a remote-sensing /_map_/ and
thus is cuttered .A4.

"Views" are most-generally bird's-eye views, naturally these are simply
a genre of a map. While an aerial view can logically include a
remote-sensing image (air photograph, satellite image, etc.), in the
generic sense its typically used to mean a map of a place taken from a
perspective elevation and thus these are cuttered .A3. Note that on the
line in the G-schedule next to ".A3" it explicitly says "bird's-eye view".

Hope these distinctions helps!

Paige