From:
Nancy Kandoian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 14:39:49 EST
     Here at NYPL Map Division, as probably at other map depositories
     around the country, we recently received a "new" USGS map of Yosemite
     Valley, printed in 1995, but with no indication of revision beyond the
     "limited revision 1970."  The only differences I've noticed so far are

     -- it's printed on plastic or plastic-treated paper (can anybody tell
     me which, by the way?) instead of paper;

     -- it has a new title panel with illustration and location map on the
     verso;

     -- there's a slight change in the title, in addition to the new panel
     title; and

     -- the magnetic declination differs by a degree, though both are as of
     1958 (is the difference because one is mean declination and one is at
     the center of the sheet?).

     Though I guess it is not a new phenomenon, getting a new printing of an
     old USGS map, I wonder if this Yosemite Valley map, with the new title
     panel applied, is a manifestation of the new, limited map revision
     practice -- the issue brought to our attention by Sue Haffner in the
     context of the 7.5 minute series.

     As a side issue, under what circumstances are new printings of USGS
     maps sent to depository libraries?  When they are somewhat revised and
     not simply reprinted because of having been out of stock?  What about
     the new printing of the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation
     Act map, perhaps from the same shipment as the Yosemite map?  It has a
     new ISBN and bar code; is that why it was distributed again?  Do I
     remember reading somewhere that USGS maps do not distinguish between
     reprints and limited revisions unless there are a specified amount or
     percentage (measured how?) of revisions?

     I'm sure it's been said before that these issues make problems for map
     catalogers, not to mention map users who want to examine changes in
     places and on maps.  And for libraries like NYPL, which only want to
     keep single copies of maps, we have to either pore over these and fret
     about what to do, or just keep the map, forget about it, and let a map
     scholar or map nerd or keen and interested observer work on the problem
     later.

     But back to the major issue.  Don't the recreational and
     non-recreational field use of Yosemite Valley merit a completely
     revised map every 25 years or so?  With a new North American datum and
     always changing declination, wouldn't a new edition be important for a
     lost scout with a compass or post-doctoral fellow with a federal grant
     and GPS?  And even if resources are limited, aren't the new
     technologies supposed to enable revisions without the need for vast
     outlays of additional funds?  Even if printing on demand is going to be
     the new modus operandi, wouldn't the occasional published map
     (presumably big sellers like Yosemite?) be created by taking advantage
     of the updated database?  And even if limited resources mean that
     certain revisions can't be made at this time, either in the geospatial
     database or on the published map, can't USGS more optimistically plan
     revisions at less frequent intervals rather than discontinuing them
     completely?

     Sorry about my long message, and sorry to betray my lack of up-to-date
     knowledge and naivete.  But my exasperation of one afternoon seemed to
     coincide with Sue Haffner's call for comments still being on my mind.

     Nancy Kandoian
     NYPL Map Division