From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:26:42 -0500
Subject:        Online Mapping Chuckle for the Day (or why we need paper maps
and people who know geography)
Date:   Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:45:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:   Linda R Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Map&AirPhotoDiscussionList <[log in to unmask]>

Hello,

I may be starting the weekly chuckles early.

I am thinking of going to a meeting next week at Chicago State University. So this morning, I decided to check Google Maps to try and get an approximate location. Google Maps pointed me to the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Then I tried Map Quest. They offered me a choice of 5 locations (one of which was correct).

When I tried the map system at Microsoft (www.msn.com), it pointed me to a site in Peoria, Illinois, which is in West Central Illinois.

However, the exercise did give me a very good laugh to start out the morning.

Linda Zellmer

P.S. All three of the sites worked when I put the search in quotes, but how many general users use quotes in their searches?

--
Linda Zellmer
Government Information & Data Services Librarian