From:
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1993 16:53:14 EDT
Here are three answers to the question about the new format for the USGS
topo indexes.-------Johnnie

------------------------------

              Wed, 25 Aug 93 12:19:13 CDT
              Jim Coombs <JAC324F@SMSVMA>
              Re: New format for USGS topographic indexes (?)
              Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <MAPS-L@UGA>

I know my users will prefer the new USGS topo indexes.  They didn't like
the book format because they were used to the old map indexes and/or they
didn't like the multi-step method of finding the name of the quad which
showed the area or feature they were interested in.

These new indexes do not use the one-degree square grids with the 5-digit
numbers and the letter-number codes, though.  I wonder if they're abandoning
that system or if they will still issue the books and accompanying indexes?

Jim Coombs
Map Librarian
Southwest Missouri State Univ.

----------------------------------

      Wed, 25 Aug 93 09:46:01 -0500
      [log in to unmask] (UNO Network News Server)

      [log in to unmask] (Bryan Stack)
         Re: New format for USGS topographic indexes (?)
        [log in to unmask] (UNO Network News Server)
              University of Nebraska at Omaha
      Wed, 25 Aug 1993 14:36:21 GMT

J Fieber <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I just received three new "Index[es] to topographic and other map
>coverage" and instead of the familiar green book, brown map,
>brown book format, there is only one folded sheet that appears to
>be a synthesis of the green book and brown map.
>
>Why this new format?  I never used the brown maps much, but the
>green books always worked well for me, particularly because of
>their compact size that permitted them to be easily taken and
>used in the "map stacks".  The books are also proved to be
>considerably more durable than any of the folded indexes.
>-john

>=== 42 19 30 N    72 38 30 W ========== Come up and be a kite!  --K. Bush ===

I seem to recall that a USGS representative (whose name I can't recall)
at the Depository Library Conference in April said something to the effect
that the budget for publication of topographic maps doesn't allow for the
publication of books, so they had to convert the indexes to map format in
order to continue issuing them.  -- Bryan

Bryan Stack, Government Documents Librarian, University Library
University of Nebraska at Omaha, Omaha NE 68182-0237 USA
Email: [log in to unmask]   Phone: 402-554-3258   FAX: 402-554-3215

---------------------------------------

      Tue, 24 Aug 1993 16:47:08 -0700 (MST)
      Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
         New Map Indexes

John,
  The reason for the new map indexes is that GPO apparently told USGS
that they are not supposed to be printing books format materials,
that is GPO's turf.  So it is back to the old paper maps.  I think
that we will probably encapsulate them (on 3 sides so that we can
insert new updates as received, and leave them in one area of the
collection for patron use.  Linda Zellmer