From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:29:16 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:32:36 -0600
From: Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Terrain altitude data - help required <fwd>
Sender: Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>
To: Andy King <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]

Andy (and all),

For sources both free and commercial, see Bruce Gittings' Digital
Elevation Data Catalogue at: http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/home/ded.html

or for the 1:24,000 scale US DEM coverage in SDTS (muhaha!)
format at:
http://edcwww.cr.usgs.gov/doc/edchome/ndcdb/7_min_dem/states.html

Also Stephan Pollard has an excellent guide to online data sources
called "STARTING THE HUNT Guide To Mostly On-line And Mostly Free U.S.
Geospatial and Attribute Data" at:
http://www.cast.uark.edu/local/hunt/index.html

Also look for the Digital Chart of the World as I believe that it
contains spot elevations from prominent obstructions like towers (but DO
NOT rely on this source if your maps are going to be used for navigation
(the data are not current enough for fast-moving flying objects).

- Bill Thoen

----
> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:40:02 +0100
> From: Andy King <[log in to unmask]>
> I'm working on a project that needs a 'database' of terrain altitude
> data. For a given landmass, we need to identify the highest point in
> each square of a grid, where each square has sides of one nautical
> mile. We also need to be able to identify a number of obscuration
> points (eg TV transmission masts or tall buildings).
--- End Forwarded Message ---