From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2010 13:59:34 -0600
Subject:        Re: Inquiry from government documents librarian about
classification systems used for USGS 7.5 minute topographic maps
Date:   Fri, 05 Feb 2010 14:49:38 -0500
From:   David J. Bertuca <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

If you used SuDoc numbers, the maps would file in sequential order,
HOWEVER, it would not be worth the effort because filing alphabetic and
using the indexes is already the best method.

You could file your USGS 250k topos alpha too, but the SuDoc numbers (using
the same sequential system as above) make them easier to browse
cross-country. There are also about 58,000 less of this series....

The patrons rarely use our individual records, especially after they use
the indexes, because they have no need to. the only good thing would be if
you wanted to look for different editions of them to see what is available
(we keep all editions of NY and PA), but most people don't bother with the
indexes if they can find a map by its title (most assume that the main
feature they are looking for will be the name of the map--often they are
successful at this).

I had played with the idea of call numbers years ago, just to see if there
was a benefit. the only thing I could come up with was job security if no
one ever figured out what a waste of time it would be to go through all of
that.

David J. Bertuca, Map Librarian
225 Capen Hall
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260-1672

716-645-1332
716-645-3710 (fax)

--On Friday, February 05, 2010 7:35 AM -0600 Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>