From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:24:27 -0500
Subject:        North Carolina Maps
Date:   Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:20:24 -0600

From: Nicholas Graham [[log in to unmask]]
Date sent: 20 Aug 2008
Forwarded by: Matthew Gilmore [[log in to unmask]]

I'm pleased to announce the launch of the beta site for North Carolina Maps, the collaborative map digitization project by the North Carolina State Archives, North Carolina Collection at UNC-Chapel Hill, and Outer Banks History Center.  North Carolina Maps is available now at:

http://www.lib.unc.edu/dc/ncmaps/

The site currently contains over 750 maps, ranging in date from the late 1500s to the 1960s, and covering the entire state of North Carolina.
Highlights include many of the earliest maps of the state, early state highway maps, Coast and Geodetic Survey maps, and soil survey maps.
Users should check back regularly as new maps and features will be added on a regular basis over the next two years.  There is at least one detailed map for each of our 100 counties.

Nicholas Graham
North Carolina Maps Project Librarian
Carolina Digital Library and Archives
CB#3990, 322 Wilson Library
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Chapel Hill NC 27514-8890 [log in to unmask]