From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:49:06 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 00:01:23
From: John Buelow <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cataloging: Dating manuscript maps

[this message is being cross-posted on AUTOCAT]

Here at the NYHS, I have hundreds, perhaps thousands of 18th, 19th and
early 20th century manuscript maps which bear no date.   I've been
inferring date ranges for use in the 260 and 008 based on Dates of
Situation established according to Appendix C of Cartographic Materials.
So I come up with something like this

DATE  q
DATE1  1752
DATE2  1756
260|c  [Between 1752 and 1756].
500|a  Date of Situation between 1752 and 1756, based on the presence of
Berks County f. 1752 and, at the fork of the Susquehanna River, of an
Indian village in lieu of Fort Augusta f. 1756 or Sunbury f. 1772 -- see
C-L Gaz.
500|a  Ms. date inferred from Date of Situation.

Am I entering text permitted by the rules, the rule interpretations and
good research library practice?  or are such notes really awful in one way
or several?  Is the example note unnecessarily detailed?

Appendix C does not mention inferring Dates of Situation based on paper
type, drawing material or (though I can't imagine daring this) style.  I
assume that, so long as I can cite a published source, I may nonetheless
make such inferences.  Correct?

John Buelow
New York Historical Society