From:
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 1994 14:23:32 EST
These two messages are from April Carlucci at NYPL.  They include the
preliminary and final schedules for the meeting.  They got to me at about
the same time because of some foul-up along the line between UGA and NYPL.
Johnnie

      Wed Jan 26 18:18:49 EST 1994
         MAGERT Midwinter Schedule

Final schedule of MAGERT meetings for Midwinter, Los Angeles, 1994

Saturday Feb 5

8:30-11:00am      Executive Board I/Welcome Reception/New Members Breakfast
                  InnTowne Hotel  Sunrise Room

2:00-4:00pm       Publications I
                  HYAT-Terrace C

4:30-5:30pm       Cataloging and Classification
                  HIL-Wilshire B

Sunday Feb 6

9:30-11:00am      Research Libraries Collection Management Group
                  SHER-Grande 3

11:30-12:30pm     GeoTech
                  HIL-Larchmont

2:00-4:00pm       Publications II
                  HIL-Sawtelle

4:30-5:30pm       MAGERT/CCS/ALECTS Joint Discussion Group
                  LACC-410

Monday Feb 7

8:00-11:00am      Spatial Information/GIS Task Force
                  LACC-404A

11:30-12:30pm     Miscellaneous Committees Joint Meeting
                  [Constitution, Education, Honors, Membership, Nominating,
                  Miami Conference]
                  LACC-504

11:30-12:30pm     Cartographic Users Advisory Committee (CUAC)
                  HIL-Garden West

2:00-4:00pm       Publications III
                  SHER-303

Tuesday Feb 8

9:30-12:30pm      Executive Board II
                  SHER-Grande 1

End of schedule

Regarding the MAGERT hotel for Midwinter, the InnTowne Hotel:
I called them Wed 1/26 and confirmed that they are fine after the earthquake.
They have been having some trouble with their phone system--in case anyone
else tried to get through and didn't.

End of message.

      Wed Jan 26 19:14:31 EST 1994
         MAGERT at ALA Annual Conference, Miami 1994

Would you please post this on Maps-L? Thanks.
April

PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE OF MAGERT ACTIVITIES IN MIAMI, JUNE 1994

(Preliminary means I've requested these, but ALA has not published any
schedules yet)

Friday, June 24

8:00-10:00pm        Executive Board I/Welcome Reception

Saturday, June25

9:30-11:00am        Publications I

11:30-12:30pm       Cataloging and Classification

11:30-12:30pm       GeoTech

2:00-4:00pm         PROGRAM I: Mapping the Everglades

4:30-5:30pm         Research Libraries Collection Management Group

4:30-5:30pm         Education

4:30-5:30pm         Membership

Sunday, June 26

8:00-11:00am        SIGIS Task Force

11:30-12:30pm       MAGERT/CCS/ALECTS Discussion Group

11:30-12:30pm       Miscellaneous Committees Joint Meeting
                    (any committee not meeting at another time that needs to
                    meet)

2:00-4:00pm         Publications II

2:00-4:00pm         PROGRAM II:  X, The Unknown
                    Meaning, I may still be able to pull something together
                    here, so reserved a slot, but don't bet on it.

4:30-5:30pm         Executive Board II

Monday, June 27

8:00-9:00am         Executive Board III
                    [Expect to run over time]

9:30-11:00am        Publications III

9:30-12:30pm        PROGRAM III:Basic Map Cataloging for Non-Map Librarians

11:30-12:30pm       CUAC

2:00-4:00pm         General Membership

Notes on schedule:

This schedule is really packed because I had some sound advice to get us "into
and out of Miami in as short a time as possible."  Thus, we can be out by
4:00pm Monday.  I know many members will want to take advantage of being in
Florida and will want a field trip.  I do intend to plan one; it is not
planned yet; it will be on Tuesday June 28, provided...

MAGERT HOTEL FOR MIAMI

The Executive Board of MAGERT met electronically and has decided that in
consideration of the safety of the members of MAGERT there will be NO MAGERT
hotel in Miami.  The Exec Board thinks that it will be better for MAGERT
members to stay in ALA conference hotels so that members can take advantage of
the scheduled shuttle bus services and the theory "Safety in numbers."  ALA
recently announced via LJ Hotline that there will be extended evening shuttle
bus services, which will include additional stops such as restaurants.

Still, I know that MAGERT members would like the sociability and convenience
of being near each other, and to that end I talked to Conference Services in
Chicago and asked if all MAGERT members could be put in the same hotel by the
Housing Bureau if they so identified themselves.  As you may imagine, this
idea was beyond their conceptual capabilities.  They asked if I could fax them
immediately a list of the names of all the members of MAGERT who would be
attending Annual, and then they couldn't promise anything. So, I have another
idea...

As Chair, I suggest to the membership that people making reservations for
Miami use the Official ALA Housing Request Form provided in the January issue
of American Libraries (which I received on Jan 25--I have a feeling there's a
lot of inconsistency in the delivery of this issue), and put down as their
hotel choices the following:
1>Holiday Inn-Oceanside (#15)
2>Shelborne Beach Hotel (#32)
3>Traymore (#36)
4>Seville Beach (#31)
5>Quality Shawnee Beach (#27)
6>Eden Roc (#9)

In you check the map in AL, you'll see that the first four hotels I've listed
are in a bunch between the Convention Center/Art Deco District and the
Fontainebleau, which is the headquarters hotel.  The last two I listed are on
either side of the Fontainebleau. (If you can stay at the Fontainebleau, you
must have some expense account).  We can at least try to all be in the same
area, on a shuttle bus route, and in Miami Beach rather than Miami downtown.

I figure it either of two ways:
1. It's already too late, or,
2. Since so many people are saying they won't go, everything will work like a
charm.
.... A PLEA.... I am constantly concerned about the fact that while all this
information is going out to people with access to Maps-L, not all our
membership has access to Maps-L, and it will be a while before this appears in
print.  So I ask all of you who are reading this on Maps-L to pass this
information on to our non-electronic friends. Please call others, print this
out and mail it or fax it to MAGERT members who aren't on Maps-L. Word of
mouth is very important in this case. Thanks a lot.

End of message.