From:
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 16:29:21 EDT
This message is from Daniel P. O'Mahony.------Johnnie

>Date:         Tue, 03 Oct 95 15:58:33 EDT
>From:         "Daniel P. O'Mahony (Documents)" <AP201159@BROWNVM>
>Subject:      DLC/MEMPHIS: Discussion questions

October 2, 1995

>To:       Attendees of the Fall Meeting of the Depository
          Library Council
>From:     Daniel O'Mahony, Chair, Depository Library Council

>Subj:     DISCUSSION GROUPS AT DLC MEETING

   As many of you know, the Fall Meeting of the Depository
Library Council will be held on October 16-18, 1995, in Memphis,
TN, at the East Memphis Hilton.  At last count, more than 135
people had registered for the meeting.  I think this high turn-
out is indicative of the important developments surrounding the
Federal Depository Library Program at this time and the
commitment of depository librarians to the future of the FDLP...
not to mention the sights, sounds, and other attractions that the
city of Memphis has to offer!

   The purpose of this message is to elaborate on the preliminary
agenda (posted separately) and outline the discussion groups that
we will be having during the Council meeting.

   As many of you know, one of the most important developments
affecting the future of the FDLP is the study and strategic
planning process currently underway at GPO at the direction of
Congress.  In adopting the conference report to H.R. 1854 (the
Legislative Appropriations Act of 1996), Congress asked the
Public Printer to initiate a cooperative study to identify
measures necessary for a successful transition to a more
electronic FDLP.  (See outline below or details)  The study is
being chaired by Wayne Kelley, Superintendent of Documents.
An executive working group, chaired by Judy Russell, Director of
GPO's Office of Electronic Information Dissemination Services,
has been formed to carry out the study.  The GPO Study Working
Group includes members from a number of Federal agencies, all
branches of government, and a representative from the depository
library community.

   In Memphis, we will be devoting an entire day of the Council
meeting (Tuesday) to the GPO Study and related issues.  On
Tuesday morning, Judy Russell and Wayne Kelley will give an
outline and progress report on the study process.  We will then
break-up the audience into three groups;  each group will discuss
one of the following topics concerning an electronic FDLP:
     A.  Legislative/Legal Issues
     B.  Library Issues
     C.  GPO Issues.
The intent here is that the smaller groups will give people a
greater opportunity to participate in the discussions.

   The assumptions and discussion questions for these groups are
attached to end of this message.  This information is provided
here in order to give attendees an opportunity to consider these
questions ahead of time in preparation for the Council meeting.

   On Tuesday afternoon, we will continue our discussion of the
electronic future of the FDLP while concentrating more on
library-centered issues.  The discussion will focus on the theme:
"Defining 'Depository Libraries' in the Electronic Information
Age."  The afternoon session will be a focused discussion on the
following topics:
     A.  Servicing the public in an electronic FDLP
     B.  Managing on-site and remote access to multi-media
         information sources
     C.  Assuring long-term access to government information
     D.  Cooperation with Federal agencies.

   The input from the morning and afternoon discussion sessions
will be directly used in two ways:  (1) by the Depository Library
Council in considering possible recommendations to the Public
Printer; and (2) by GPO and the Study Group in the work on the
study and strategic plan.  Recognizing that input from the
library community is critical to this process, Council has
devoted as much time as possible on our agenda to open discussion
of these issues.  We look forward to your comments and your
participation at the Fall meeting in Memphis.

            GPO Study to Identify Measures Necessary
    for a Successful Transition to a More Electronic Federal
                   Depository Library Program

[From Senate Report 104-114, Legislative Branch Appropriations,
1996, pp. 48-49.]

The Committee directs the Public Printer to initiate a study,
under the direction of the Committee, that:

   * Examines the functions and services of the Federal
     Depository Library Program;

   * Surveys current technological capabilities of the
     participating libraries in the Federal Depository Library
     Program;

   * Surveys current and future information dissemination plans
     of executive branch agencies;

   * Examines and suggests improvements for agency compliance of
     relevant laws, regulations, and policies regarding
     Government information dissemination;

   * Identifies measures that are necessary to ensure a
     successful transition to a more electronically based
     program;

   * Identifies the possible expansion of the array of Federal
     information products and services made available to
     participating libraries; and

   * Ensures the most cost-efficient program to the taxpayer.

The study shall include a strategic plan that will assist the
Congress in redefining a new and strengthened Federal information
dissemination policy and program.

In conducting the study, it will be important for the Public
Printer to work closely with the respective oversight and
appropriations committees, executive branch agencies, other
distributors of Federal documents and information products, the
Library of Congress, the depository library community, the
National Technical Information Service, users, the information
industry, and other appropriate organizations.  The completed
study shall be available to Congress by March 1996.

                 ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT THE FUTURE OF
             THE FEDERAL DEPOSITORY LIBRARY PROGRAM

[The following assumptions on the future of the FDLP have emerged
in the context of GPO's Study to Identify Measures Necessary for
a Successful Transition to a More Electronic FDLP.  The
assumptions are based on congressional intent and direction,
technological developments, and budgetary realities.  These
assumptions will serve as the basis for discussions at the
Depository Library Council Fall Meeting in Memphis.]

1.  The Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP) will be
primarily electronic.

2.  The law will be revised so that electronic information is
clearly in scope for the FDLP.  Agency participation in the FDLP
will be required.

3.  These factors will lead to changes in the structure of the
FDLP.

4.  The funding available to the FDLP from the legislative branch
appropriation will not exceed the current level.

   PLANNING ISSUES FOR THE FEDERAL DEPOSITORY LIBRARY PROGRAM

[The following questions will be used to facilitate discussion
and input for the GPO Study at the Depository Library Council
Fall Meeting in Memphis.  This discussion on the GPO Study will
take place during the morning session on Tuesday, October 17.]

A. LEGISLATIVE/LEGAL ISSUES

1.  Are the exemptions from depository publication eligibility
presently in Title 44 U.S.C. still appropriate, and should they
apply to electronic information (i.e., "those [publications]
determined by their issuing components to be required for
official use only or for strictly administrative or operational
purposes which have no public interest or educational value and
publications classified for reasons of national security;" and
"so-called cooperative publications which must necessarily be
sold in order to be self-sustaining")?

2.  Should agencies be required or permitted to charge user fees
for information developed at public expense?  Are there barriers
to access and usage associated with cost-recovery mechanisms?

3.  Who should pay for depository CD-ROMs or other electronic
information products and services not produced through GPO (e.g.,
agencies, GPO, other)?

4.  Should the current structure of selective and regional
depositories be changed to reflect open access to electronic
information?  If so, how?

5.  What are the responsibilities of depositories, issuing
agencies, GPO, the National Archives, and/or other partners in
preserving electronic government information?

6.  How can users determine if they have "official" information?
Can or should electronic information be authenticated?

B. LIBRARY ISSUES

1.  How will depository libraries cope with the following
administrative, service, and cost burdens that will likely
accompany an increasingly electronic FDLP?

     (a) Technology - the need to procure, install, and maintain
additional computer equipment, telecommunications services, and
software.

     (b) Human resources - the need for additional technically
skilled staff to operate electronic facilities in the library,
and to assist users with electronic information services.

     (c) Local printing expenses and reader services - as printed
documents give way to electronic media, libraries will face
rising costs and administrative burdens in order to meet users'
needs and demands for hard copy.

     (d) Loss of selectivity and control - the inherently
expansive nature of Internet access could, in effect, make every
library a "regional" for electronic information.  The transient
state of some information on the Internet complicates access and
bibliographic control, and undermines the concept of reliable
access to materials not selected by a library.

2.  If electronic information is "free" over the Internet, what
would motivate a library to become or continue as a depository?

3.  What are depository library obligations when the
Superintendent of Documents (SOD) points to information freely
accessible at Federal activity sites?

C. GPO ISSUES

1.  What is the role of the SOD with respect to electronic
information freely accessible at other Federal activity sites?

2.  What arrangements can or should GPO make to obtain free
access for depositories when an agency or its non-government
agent charges fees?

3.  What are appropriate criteria for converting paper products
for direct electronic access or to physical electronic format?
What should be the mix of media formats (e.g., CD-ROMs,
diskettes, etc.), and what types of files should be available
(e.g., ASCII, system-formatted, PostScript, etc.)?

4.  What should be the modes for direct electronic access to
information storage and retrieval sites (e.g., Internet, modem,
etc.)?

5.  What criteria should be used to determine the availability
and method of delivery of electronic files at SOD sites?

6.  What is the responsibility of GPO/FDLP in providing access to
electronic files not immediately available online?

DEFINING "DEPOSITORY LIBRARIES" IN THE ELECTRONIC INFORMATION AGE

[The following topics and questions will be the basis of a
focused discussion at the Depository Library Council Fall Meeting
in Memphis on the role of depository libraries in an electronic
Federal Depository Library Program.  This discussion will take
place during the afternoon session on Tuesday, October 17.]

I.   Servicing the public in an electronic FDLP
     A.  What (unique) role will the library play?
     B.  What support from GPO/Superintendent of Documents will
         be necessary?
     C.  What institutional support will be required?
     D.  Other issues/concerns related to this topic?

II.  Managing on-site and remote access to multi-media
     information sources
     A.  What (unique) role will the library play?
     B.  What support from GPO/Superintendent of Documents will
         be necessary?
     C.  What institutional support will be required?
     D.  Other issues/concerns related to this topic?

III. Assuring long-term access to government information
     A.  What (unique) role will the library play?
     B.  What support from GPO/Superintendent of Documents will
         be necessary?
     C.  What support from publishing agencies will be necessary?
     D.  What institutional support will be required?
     E.  Other issues/concerns related to this topic?

IV.  Cooperation with Federal agencies
     A.  What (unique) role will the library play?
     B.  What support from GPO/Superintendent of Documents will
         be necessary?
     C.  What support from publishing agencies will be necessary?
     D.  What institutional support will be required?
     E.  Other issues/concerns related to this topic?

Daniel P. O'Mahony                      Phone: 401-863-2522
Government Documents Coordinator        Fax:   401-863-1272
Brown University Library - Box A        [log in to unmask]
Providence, RI  02912                   [log in to unmask]