From:
Perry Streeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 10:34:33 EST
Seeking Historical Maps of East Grinstead, Sussex, England

I am seeking detailed historical maps of East Grinstead, Sussex,
England.  I am interested in photocopies or faxes for initial
review as well as reproductions suitable for framing.  I have found
references to the maps listed below but have been unable to
personally examine any of the following:

1.   1872 Ordnance Survey Map, Sussex Sheet #5.

2.   Greenwood's Map of Sussex [1823-24]; reprinted by Harry
     Margary in "250 Years of Map Making in Sussex (1575-1825)
     [1970].

3.   1795 Map by William Gardner, Thomas Yeakell, and Thomas Gream;
     reprinted by Harry Margary in "250 Years of Map Making in
     Sussex (1575-1825) [1970].

4.   1778-83 Map of Sussex by Yeakell and Gardner which was the
     first map of Sussex to illustrate field boundaries.

5.   Circa 1776 "Plan of Sainthill the Seat of Gibbs Crawfurd Esqr"
     13.5" by 10.25 as cited on page 19 of "A Catalogue of Sussex
     Maps," edited by Francis W. Steer [1968].

If you can provide copies of any of these maps by "snail mail" or
FAX please contact me at [log in to unmask] and I will send you my
full address or FAX number.  Of course, I will gladly reimburse you
for any copying or postage costs you may incur.  Also, if there are
other organizations or individuals, both on and off the Internet,
that you would recommend I contact, I would appreciate hearing from
you.

Thank you for your help,

Perry Streeter