From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Crotteau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:08:42 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:20:53 -0600
From: Mark Crotteau <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Correction to cataloging column in Base line
Sender: Mark Crotteau <[log in to unmask]>

I would like to correct an error in my August column, and wish to thank Sara Shatford Layne of UCLA for pointing out the mistake.

The error occurred in my coverage of the MARBI report given by Susan Moore at the Cataloging and Classification Committee meeting (p. 10, 1st column).  I wrote concerning MARBI Discussion Paper 119, "Any proposal resulting from this will be dependent on JSC approval of rule changes regarding seriality, and would probably create a new encoding level for ongoing publications.  Integrating entities, i.e., items that are frequently updated by replacement of text, such as websites or looseleaf publications, would be coded 's' for serial."

There are three errors in this passage:  "encoding level" has nothing to do with this issue and should have been "bibliographic level;" instead of "ongoing publications" I should have written "integrating resources;"  and finally, the proposal put forth in the discussion paper would have created a new bibliographic level for integrating entities (or integrating resources) of "i," not assigned them to level "s."   The passage should be amended to read as follows:

"Any proposal resulting from this will be dependent on JSC approval of rule changes regarding seriality, and would probably create a new bibliographic level of "i" for integrating resources, making them neither monographs nor serials.  Integrating resources are items that are frequently updated by replacement of text or images, such as websites or looseleaf publications.  In the realm of cartographic materials I would expect these to be rare, but could envision frequently updated websites of cartographic images as a possible example."

Please accept my apology for this fundamental error.  If I had compared what I wrote to the text of the discussion paper the mistake would have been obvious.  The concept of seriality, and how integrating resources relate to it, has been much discussed of late and is an important concern of many catalogers.  I hope this clarification will correct any confusion that my original column may have engendered.

Mark Crotteau
Albertsons Library
Boise State University
Boise, ID   <[log in to unmask]>