From:
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2013 07:52:06 -0500
Subject:        Any map digitization guidelines/spectifications
Date:   Sat, 8 Jun 2013 14:37:12 -0400
From:   Rydell Jennifer <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Hi All-
My library is starting to look at trying to get some of the maps in our
collection digitized. I have been asked to find out if there are any
"specifications" for doing this.

Found these items out on the internet that i thought were good starting
point ranging from simple to fairly technical.

Technical guidelines for digitizing cultural heritage materials:
Creation of raster image master files, August 2010 (101 pages)

http://www.digitizationguidelines.gov/guidelines/FADGI_Still_Image-Tech_Guidelines_2010-08-24.pdf

<https://owa.chattanooga.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.digitizationguidelines.gov/guidelines/FADGI_Still_Image-Tech_Guidelines_2010-08-24.pdf>

Technical guidelines for digitizing archival materials for electronic
access, June 2004 (106 pages)

http://www.archives.gov/preservation/technical/guidelines.html
<https://owa.chattanooga.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.archives.gov/preservation/technical/guidelines.html>

University of Colorado digital Library-Digitization best practices,
version 1.0, August 2009 (7 pages)-Not nearly as technical as the above
two links.

https://www.cusys.edu/DigitalLibrary/cudldigitizationbp.pdf
<https://owa.chattanooga.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://www.cusys.edu/DigitalLibrary/cudldigitizationbp.pdf>

In a nutshell-this blog entry regarding the Library of Congress
Digitized Map Collection.

https://www.cusys.edu/DigitalLibrary/cudldigitizationbp.pdf

We have already been working on projects to digitized parts of our
photographic collection and clipping file system. So we are not total
"babes in the woods" when it comes to digitizing. But is there anything
specific to maps?

I have put this question out to some specific people but I have had any

Thanks for your time.

Jennifer Rydell

Chattanooga Public Library

Local History and Genealogy Department