From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:03:07 -0500
Subject:        The proposal passed MARBI!
Date:   Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:47:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:   Colleen Cahill <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Apologies for cross posting.

The proposal to add coordinates to authority records
<http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/2006/2006-06.html> passed and in the next
year or so, this will be available in the MARC format for
authorities.  Thanks to all who worked on this, especially Jimmie
Lundgren of the University of Florida and Rebecca Guenther of the Library
of Congress, who put a great deal of effort in forming this proposal.
Good job!

We now face some choices, primarly in what format we want the coordinates
to appear in authority records.  This can be either degrees, minutes,
seconds or decimal degrees: both have advantages and disadvantages. Here
are a few I have thought of and am hoping for your input:

Degrees, minutes, seconds format
Pro:
-Format most often printed on maps
-Familiar to most people
-Easy to quality review
-Format most often used in bib records

Con:
-Not format used by GIS search engines

Decimal Degrees
Pro:
-Format used by GIS search engines
-Can harvest data from GIS tools

Con:
-Not as easy to quality review
-Not as familiar a format to the average person

The reason we need to have this discussion is LC will allow coordinates in
the authority file, but only in one format.  By presenting
well-thought-out reasons for a desired format, we can persuade LC to use
the most logical choice. This is also a good time to think about any
standards or recommendations, such as what is acceptable data (i.e., is
just degrees enough data? How many numbers after the decimal in decimal
degrees?)

I am sure there are many more pros and cons to
each of these formats.  If the cartographic community can come to a
consensus about this topic, it would speed the next step to this process,
setting up a test to load coordinates in the authority files. To
facilitate this process, I will keep track of the discussion and post
compilations.  Thank you for your help.

Colleen
 Colleen R. Cahill                   |  [log in to unmask]
 Digital Production Coordinator      |  (202)707-8540
  & Recommending Officer for         |  FAX (202)707-8531
       Science Fiction & Fantasy     |  Library of Congress
These opinions are mine, Mine, Mine! |  Washington, DC 20540-4652