Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 14:53:23 EST
The attached message, from the U.S. Federal Depository Library Program's
_Administrative Notes_ and was posted to GOVDOC-L.

The following comments are my own: For those reading of this for the first
time, the Digital Raster Graphics (DRGs) CDs contain the scanned images
of standard series USGS topographic maps. One of the first titles shipped
is for Pennsylvania, and contains data for a 1-degree cell referenced 40076.
According to information on the container, it contains all of the
1:24,000-scale quadrangles comprising the Sunbury and Harrisburg
1:100,000-scale quadrangles, the 100,000-scale (East half of 250K) Sunbury,
PA, and Harrisburg, PA, and the 1:250,000-scale Harrisburg, PA.

The wonderful, logical thing about this is that the SuDocs numbers assigned
follow the markings on the CDs: the call number is I 19.128:40076!  No GPO
cataloging records beyond the initial test title are in OCLC yet, but this
should be very exciting news for people who want scanned USGS topos.  It was
previously announced that about 900 CDs would be issues over three years.

>        THE MESSAGE BELOW IS FROM ADMINISTRATIVE NOTES,
> VOL. 17, #05  (Mar. 15, 1996)
>

> DIGITAL RASTER GRAPHICS CDS BEING SHIPPED
>         LPS is distributing Digital Raster Graphics CD-ROMs (SuDocs I
> 19.128:, item 0621-J-02) beginning with shipping list 96-0023-E, dated
> March 1, 1996.  Each disc is being shipped to depositories in the states
> represented on that disc.  LPS has found that the labels on the disc or
> jewel case do not always include all the states on the index files.  We
> will distribute the discs to depositories in the states that are included
> on the index files, whether or not they are listed on the label.

John Stevenson
University of Delaware Library
Government Documents and Maps
Newark, DE 19717-5267