From:
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:54:49 -0500
Subject: Re: Upside down maps]]
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:17:28 EST
From: [log in to unmask]

------------------
I thought Paige Andrew's suggestion noting 'orientation' was a logical
descriptor for maps that are not North-up. Many historical maps are
'direction of
travel' oriented, with or without a compass rose to clarify.

I'd like to see more cartographers design modern maps that allow the reader
to understand a region in a different light by drawing maps in non-north-up
direction. I've done a few book maps that way of Hudson Bay and the
Chesapeake
Bay. Invariably they come under attack by editors because they are
different,
but if it illustrates a concept well, I feel it is justified.

I have  done a few modern maps in a non-north-up design, usually to orient
with a geographical feature like a peak, valley or river.

I agree the 'upside-down' term implies a mistake, or oddity, when really we
are a bit trapped by a convention that should be challenged when possible.

Mike Hermann
www.purplelizard.com