From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:35:59 -0500
Subject:        Re: [MAPS-L] MAPS-L: Archiving GIS Databases
Date:   Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:32:13 -0400
From:   Steve Morris <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

The SAA panel session was informative.  Richard Marciano gave a rundown
of the various geoarchiving projects that the UCSD SuperComputer Center
is involved with.  James Henderson gave a presentation on the very
successful Maine GeoArchives project, which has posted extensive
materials to its website, including consultant reports:
http://www.maine.gov/sos/arc/GeoArchives/geoarch.html

A couple other recent or pending events on this topic:

Later this month there is a Digital Curation Centre workshop on
"Maintaining Long-term Access to Geospatial Data" in Edinburgh, UK on
Oct. 27:  http://www.nesc.ac.uk/esi/events/697/

Just recently there was a UC Berkeley/NARA hosted panel on GIS data
preservation: "Accessing and Preserving Geospatial data into the future"
in Berkeley, CA on Sept. 29
http://www.gisc.berkeley.edu/events/Towards_Uncharted_Ground_5__modified.pdf

Last week there was an Ad Hoc Historical Data Working Group meeting,
discussing geospatial data preservation issues, at the Open Geospatial
Consortium Technical Committee Meeting (in Tysons Corner, VA on Oct. 4)
... this was a followup to an earlier joint presentation on this topic
at the Nov. 2005 OGC TC by NCSU and EDINA:
http://edina.ac.uk/projects/grade/Long-term_preservation.ppt

In August NCSU and Stanford presented consecutively on the NDIIPP
geospatial data projects at the ESRI International Users Conference in
San Diego.  NCSU presentation at:
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/ncgdap/presentations/esri06_essic.ppt

Steve

--