From:
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:33:07 -0400
Subject:        Re: appropriate map projection]
Date:   Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:28:10 -0500
From:   James R. Carter <[log in to unmask]>

I have two comments on this request.  In the late 1980's I found the
World Newsmap of the Week from General Learning Corporation in the
Chicago area.  You could subscribe to the service and they sent a world
map weekly on one of 8 different projections.  Thus, the students got to
see a variety of world map projections used to show items in the news.
I had a subscription for a couple of years.   I know the service
continued into the late 1990's.   I tried to find this service on the
web and found references to the use of the maps but not to an existing
service.   Does anyone know if this service, or something similar,
exists today?   If so, I can highly recommend this.  This was a nice
counter to the Mercator / Peters question.

And, today I visited a colleague who had a new world reference map from
National Geographic on the wall.  I was surprised to find it was on the
Winkle Tripel projection, with azimuthal projections of the poles in the
upper corners and Goodes-homolosine world maps in the lower corners.
This was a very attractive map and is a nice compromise between the
extremes of Mercator and Peters for classroom use.  I searched on winkle
tripel on the web and got many hits.

Jim Carter

At  10/5/2004, you wrote:

> [...]

Dr. James R. "Jim" Carter, Professor, Geography/Geology Department
and Graduate Coordinator, Hydrogeology Masters Program
Illinois State University, Normal, IL 61790-4400 USA
                      -- http://www.ilstu.edu/~jrcarter --
tel: (309) 438-2833                                 fax: (309) 438-5310