Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 08:15:09 -0500
Subject:        RE: MAPS-L Library school recommendations
Date:   Thu, 20 Sep 2007 04:55:41 -0700
From:   Virginia R. Hetrick, Ph.D. <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, Susan -

While I'm not a map librarian, I am a geographer by training (all three
degrees).  While I was an undergraduate, I worked 1/2 time at the
Library of Congress Map Division (now the Geography and Map Division)
during the school year and full time in the summer (which is why I hang
out on this list).  Two observations:

1.  What I learned from Mr. Buffum, Stanley Pillsbury, Clara LeGear, the
crew in the reading room and all the other Division staff was hugely
important to my development as a scholar, not just as a geographer or a
map person.  I don't know whether the Library still has the summer
program or not, but, if they do, it is well worth affiliating yourself
with a school that participates in the summer program so that you might
have the opportunity to get the time at the Library.

2.  If I hadn't become a computer dudette, maps would have been my
choice.  I've embarked on a project to visit all the national parks in
the US and Canada that I haven't already visited.  Every time I hit the
visitor center at a park, one of the things that amazes me is the
different takes people have on what's important about their park.
Probably the best thing I've found so far is the kerchief (like one of
those red/white, blue/white printed kerchiefs) with a topo map of the
Chiracahua National Monument on it (that's where Cochise and Geronimo
hung out hiding from the US Army).

I continue to be astounded by the fact that many parks think it's huge
to have FOLDED maps.  I guess this is important for civilians to fit
into their luggage, but I still like having flat/rolled maps even though
they're a pain when I move. The best flat map I've found on my
expeditions is of the Lava Beds National Monument.  Strange place!
Never would have thought a place by that name would have a gazillion
bats in genuine bat caves!

HTH.

\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
0      Email:  [log in to unmask]
My fave:  http://www.washington.edu/cambots/camera1_l.gif