From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:13:25 -0500
------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: advice on shipping fragile maps
Date:   Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:09:55 -0500
From:   Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Laura:

If you palletize the shipments, and they are boxed an wrapped
securely, they should arrive in good shape. We get bunches of flat
sheets from the printer regularly, and when they arrive via freight
carrier on a pallet, securely boxed and wrapped, they are almost
always in mint condition.

Rather than a pre-manufactured box, I would get flat corrugated
cardboard, and use if to create tightly-held "sandwiches", taped
and/or shrinkwrapped. In particular protect corners.

For a reliable shipper of delicates, I would contact local antiques
dealers. A lot depends on where you are shipping to and from; many
shippers specialize in or have better rates on frequent routes,
especially if you are shipping a single pallet as opposed to a full
truck load.

It will of course be cheaper if you can combine shipments.

Nat Case
Hedberg Maps

--
Nat Case