From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:03:10 -0500
maps-l     maps-l     maps-l     maps-l
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 17:29:25 -0500
From: Robert Karrow <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Are these maps yours?
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

The four maps listed here were found in the possession of the
person apprehended in New Haven in July and charged with the theft of
maps from a research library.  These maps are apparently not from
that library, and authorities would like to ascertain their
provenance.  Please check your collections to see if you are missing
any of these maps.  If you think any of these maps might be yours,
please contact me off-list and I will forward the information to the
authorities.

1)  Thorne world map from Hakluyt's Divers Voyages (1582)
illustrated here: <http://history.binghamton.edu/conference/>

2) John Foster map of New England, from Hubbard's Narrative of the troubles in
New England (1677) illustrated here:
<http://www.americancenturies.mass.edu/classroom/curriculum_5th/lesson3/1677map.html>

3)  Jesuit map of Lake Superior, 1671 illustrated here:
<http://www.museum.state.il.us/muslink/nat_amer/post/htmls/popups/hi_contact_map.html>

4)  Rouillard, Carte générale de la Nouvelle France, 1671, from Le Clerc's
Premier Établissement de la Foy illustrated here:
<http://www.library.upenn.edu/exhibits/rbm/kislak/lands/nfmap.html>

Robert W. Karrow, Jr.

Curator of Special Collections and Curator of Maps,

Roger & Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections

The Newberry Library

60 W. Walton Street

Chicago, Illinois 60610-7324

Tel: 312-255-3554

FAX: 312-255-3646

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

www.newberry.org

For a partial catalog of our cartographic holdings, see
www.biblioserver.com/newberry